Color fading in clothes, especially reds turning pink, can be frustrating after using a dryer. Special detergents for color protection can be expensive. However, you can tackle this issue using a simple household ingredient: ground black pepper. Here’s how to do it:
- Ground black pepper
- Laundry detergent
- Dirty colored clothes
1. Gather Your Materials: Collect the dirty colored clothes that you want to wash, a couple of teaspoons of ground black pepper, and your regular laundry detergent.
2. Load the Washer: Load your washing machine with the dirty colored clothes as you normally would. Add your regular laundry detergent to the washing machine as per the recommended amount for the load. Additionally, add a couple of teaspoons of ground black pepper to the load.
3. Wash the Clothes: Start the washing machine cycle. The combination of laundry detergent and ground black pepper will work to prevent color fading. Allow the washing machine to complete the cycle as usual.
4. Dry the Clothes: Once the washing cycle is complete, transfer the clothes to the dryer and dry them as you normally would. The pepper-infused wash will help protect the colors from fading during the drying process.
5. Remove and Fold: After the drying cycle, remove the clothes from the dryer and fold them as usual. You will find that your clothes maintain their bright colors without fading or turning pink.
Ground black pepper contains natural oils that can help preserve colors in fabric. The abrasiveness of pepper also aids in keeping the fabric’s color intact. This method is a cost-effective alternative to specialized color-protecting detergents.