Beef Bourguignon is a classic French dish that is hearty and flavorful. This recipe takes a few hours to make, but it’s worth the wait for the tender beef, savory broth, and delicious vegetables. The red wine and beef broth create a rich and flavorful sauce that perfectly complements the beef and vegetables. This dish is perfect for a special occasion or a cozy night in, and it’s sure to impress your guests or family. Serve it with a crusty baguette or over mashed potatoes for a satisfying and delicious meal.
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Burgundy)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 3-4 hours
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe Calories: 500 Total fat: 23g Saturated fat: 11g Cholesterol: 134mg Sodium: 853mg Total carbohydrates: 23g Dietary fiber: 3g Sugars: 5g Protein: 38g
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the beef cubes and toss to coat evenly.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth and red wine, then add the tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then cover the pot and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 2 hours, then add the mushrooms and potatoes to the pot. Cover and bake for an additional 1-2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the pot from the oven and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve the Beef Bourguignon hot, garnished with chopped parsley. Enjoy!