This hearty beef stew recipe is perfect for chilly days and can be easily customized by adding your favorite vegetables or herbs. Serve it with a crusty bread or over a bed of mashed potatoes for a comforting and satisfying meal. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- In a large bowl, season the stew beef with salt and pepper. Add flour and toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, paprika, and additional salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the pot and simmer for another hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add frozen peas and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the peas are heated through.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.