Blueberry pie is a classic and delicious dessert that showcases the sweet and juicy flavors of fresh blueberries. Here’s a recipe to make a homemade blueberry pie:
For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the blueberry filling:
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar for the pie crust. Add the chilled butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, a few tablespoons at a time, mixing gently with a fork until the dough starts to come together. Be careful not to overmix. If the dough is too dry, add more ice water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disk. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of the chilled pie dough to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Transfer the rolled-out dough to the pie dish and gently press it into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, and salt for the filling. Stir until the blueberries are coated evenly. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Pour the blueberry filling into the prepared pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
- Roll out the second disk of chilled pie dough and place it over the filling. Trim any excess dough and crimp the edges of the pie to seal it. Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beaten egg and milk or water for the egg wash. Brush the top crust with the egg wash for a shiny finish.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips, and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.