- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter (at room temperature)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 packet of powdered milk
- Prepare Your Ingredients: Make sure your butter is at room temperature. It should be soft but not melted. Sift your powdered sugar to remove any lumps.
- Cream the Butter: In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter using an electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat the butter until it becomes pale and creamy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add Vanilla Extract: Pour in the vanilla extract and continue to mix for another minute. The vanilla extract adds flavor to the buttercream.
- Gradually Add Powdered Sugar: Begin adding the sifted powdered sugar in small portions. Mix on low speed after each addition to avoid the sugar flying out of the bowl.
- Incorporate the Powdered Milk: Add the powdered milk to the mixture. This adds a unique flavor to the buttercream and can help stabilize it. Continue to mix until everything is well combined.
- Beat Until Smooth and Fluffy: After all the powdered sugar and powdered milk have been added, increase the mixer’s speed to medium-high. Beat the mixture for about 3-5 minutes or until the buttercream becomes smooth, light, and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure everything is evenly mixed.
- Adjust Consistency (Optional): If your buttercream is too thick, you can add a tablespoon of milk or cream at a time and mix until you reach your desired consistency. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Decorate Your Cake: Once your buttercream is ready, it’s time to decorate your cake. You can use a spatula or piping bag to apply the buttercream in various designs and styles.