For the Base:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Caramel Layer:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Prepare the Base:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, softened butter, and granulated sugar. Mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×9 inch baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Prepare the Caramel Layer:
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook and stir for about 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and turns a light caramel color.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the cooled base and spread it evenly. Let it cool and set.
- Prepare the Chocolate Topping:
- In a microwave-safe bowl or using a double boiler, melt the semisweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter together until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cooled caramel layer and spread it evenly.
- Chill and Serve:
- Place the baking pan in the refrigerator for a few hours or until the chocolate topping is set.
- Once set, use a sharp knife to cut the caramel slices into squares or bars.