Homemade cinnamon rolls are a classic breakfast treat that can be enjoyed any time of day. The soft and fluffy dough combined with the sweet and spicy cinnamon filling and creamy frosting make for a delicious and indulgent treat. This recipe is perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch with family and friends. The dough can also be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge overnight for an easy and quick breakfast the next day. Try this recipe and enjoy the heavenly scent of cinnamon and freshly baked bread in your kitchen!
For the dough:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time: 25 minutes Rising time: 2 hours Baking time: 25-30 minutes Total time: 3 hours
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, melted butter, eggs, warm milk, yeast, and salt.
- Mix until the dough forms a ball and then knead on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle approximately 18×12 inches.
- Spread the softened butter over the dough and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Starting at the long end, roll the dough up tightly and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Place the rolls into a greased 9×13 inch baking pan and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the frosting is creamy and well combined.
- Once the cinnamon rolls are done baking, let them cool for a few minutes before spreading the frosting over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!