Enjoy this Classic German Rouladen recipe with a side of mashed potatoes and sauerkraut for a traditional German meal! 🇩🇪🥔🥬
- 4 beef round steaks, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Lay out the beef round steaks on a cutting board.
- Spread a tablespoon of mustard on each steak, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Place a slice of bacon, some chopped onion, and a dill pickle spear on each steak.
- Roll up the steak and secure with toothpicks or kitchen twine.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef rolls on all sides, about 8-10 minutes total.
- Remove the beef rolls from the skillet and place them in a baking dish.
- In the same skillet, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef broth and red wine to the skillet, stirring to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the beef rolls in the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the beef rolls are tender.
- Serve hot with the sauce spooned over the top.