Mold, a common issue in many households, is not a welcomed guest. While serious mold problems should be handled by licensed professionals, there are measures you can take to deal with minor mold issues and reduce moisture levels in your home. In this article, we will explore a homemade anti-mold spray and share ten effective ways to combat mold and improve indoor air quality.
Homemade Anti-Mold Spray
Mold often finds its way into our homes, particularly in bathrooms and other damp areas. To tackle this issue, you can create a powerful homemade anti-mold spray using two key ingredients: vinegar and tea tree essential oil.
- Distilled White Vinegar
- Pure Melaleuca Alternifolia Essential Oil (Tea Tree Oil)
- Empty, Clean Spray Bottle (preferably glass)
- Fill an empty spray bottle at least half full with vinegar. If you can tolerate the vinegar smell, you can use an 80:20 ratio of vinegar to water instead of the standard 50:50 mix.
- Fill the remainder of the spray bottle with water, leaving about a 1-inch gap at the top.
- Add drops of tea tree essential oil – use approximately 1 teaspoon of essential oil for every 1 cup of the vinegar/water solution.
How to Use: Shake the mixture vigorously before use. Spray it generously on surfaces affected by mold, such as showers, shower doors, walls, and tubs. Allow the spray to sit; avoid wiping it down immediately, as this helps prevent future mold growth. Note that this homemade anti-mold spray is intended for non-porous surfaces only.
Tip: You can find affordable distilled white vinegar in larger quantities at stores like Target.