This creamy potato soup is a comforting and filling meal that is perfect for cold weather. The soup is made with simple ingredients that are easy to find, and it comes together in just 30 minutes. The combination of butter, onion, garlic, and thyme gives the soup a delicious savory flavor, while the heavy cream adds richness and creaminess. You can also add toppings such as crumbled bacon, chopped chives, or shredded cheese to add extra flavor and texture. This soup can be served as a main course or as a side dish. Enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Optional toppings: crumbled bacon, chopped chives, shredded cheese
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, diced potatoes, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the soup from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream.
- Heat the soup over low heat until it is warmed through.
- Serve the soup hot, with optional toppings if desired.