Cremeschnitte is a classic pastry from Austria and Croatia that consists of layers of puff pastry and a creamy vanilla custard filling. This dessert is topped with powdered sugar and typically served in rectangular slices.
- 1 pound puff pastry, thawed
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the puff pastry into two 9×13-inch rectangles and bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and 1 cup of sugar over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, and egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the bowl with the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- To assemble the Cremeschnitte, place one layer of the puff pastry at the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Pour the custard mixture on top and spread evenly. Add the second layer of puff pastry on top.
- Refrigerate the Cremeschnitte for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.