Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made with phyllo pastry and a filling of spinach and feta cheese. Here’s a recipe that is sure to be delicious:
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the garlic and green onions in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the crumbled feta cheese, chopped dill, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Allow the spinach and feta mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Unwrap the phyllo pastry sheets and cover them with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Brush a 9×13 inch baking dish with melted butter.
- Place a sheet of phyllo pastry into the baking dish and brush it with melted butter.
- Repeat with 5-6 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Spread the spinach and feta mixture evenly over the phyllo.
- Layer the remaining phyllo sheets on top of the spinach mixture, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Brush the top sheet of phyllo with melted butter.
- Use a sharp knife to score the top layer of phyllo into squares or triangles.
- Bake the spanakopita for 30-40 minutes until the phyllo is golden brown and crispy.
- Allow the spanakopita to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious and crispy Spanakopita!