Homemade doughnuts are a classic treat that can be enjoyed any time of day. This recipe produces fluffy and tender doughnuts that are perfect for dunking in a hot cup of coffee or tea. The glaze adds a sweet and creamy touch to these delicious treats, making them irresistible to both kids and adults. Making homemade doughnuts can seem intimidating, but with a few simple steps, you can enjoy freshly made doughnuts in no time. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the taste of a classic doughnut in the comfort of your own home!
For the doughnuts:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time: 20 minutes Resting time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted unsalted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Using a doughnut cutter or a round cookie cutter, cut out doughnut shapes and transfer them to a lightly floured baking sheet.
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- Fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the doughnuts to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Dip the warm doughnuts into the glaze and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!