Esquites Mac & Cheese is a delicious fusion dish that combines the flavors of Mexican street corn (esquites) with creamy macaroni and cheese. Here’s a recipe to make Esquites Mac & Cheese:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels and chopped jalapeño pepper to the skillet. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the corn is lightly browned and cooked through.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Add the cooked macaroni and the corn mixture to the bowl with the mayonnaise mixture. Stir until everything is well coated.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted and well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and sprinkle the crumbled cotija cheese (if using) on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve the Esquites Mac & Cheese warm and enjoy!