German Apple Cake (Apfelkuchen) is a classic and delicious dessert that is popular in Germany and beyond. Here’s a recipe to make a traditional German apple cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined.
- Add the butter to the bowl and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the milk until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch (23cm) springform pan and spread it out evenly.
- In a separate bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar until well coated.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the cake batter in a circular pattern.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This German apple cake can be served warm or at room temperature, and it’s delicious on its own or served with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!