This rich and flavorful Red Wine, Mushroom, and Onion Gravy will elevate any meal, adding a delicious depth of flavor to your favorite dishes. Enjoy its savory goodness!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cremini or button), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional), for garnish
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and continue cooking until they are tender and slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom and onion mixture and stir to coat evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes to cook off the raw taste of the flour.
- Slowly pour in the beef or vegetable broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Then, add the red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard, stirring to combine.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer, and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes, allowing it to thicken and the flavors to meld. If the gravy becomes too thick, you can add more broth or wine to achieve your desired consistency.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let the gravy rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the Red Wine, Mushroom, and Onion Gravy over roasted meats, mashed potatoes, or other dishes of your choice. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves, if desired.