Creating your own DIY version of a Magic Eraser is indeed a cost-effective way to achieve the same cleaning results without the higher price tag. Here’s a breakdown of the steps to make your own DIY Magic Eraser:
- Melamine foam sponges (available in bulk online)
- Warm water
- Baking soda
- Prepare the Cleaning Solution: In a bowl, mix half a cup of warm water, one teaspoon of Borax, and one tablespoon of baking soda. Stir the mixture until the Borax and baking soda are dissolved.
- Soak the Melamine Foam Sponge: Place one melamine foam sponge into the bowl of cleaning solution. Allow it to soak for a minute or two. The melamine foam will absorb some of the solution, which helps with the cleaning process.
- Squeeze Out Excess Solution: After soaking, gently squeeze out the excess cleaning solution from the melamine foam sponge. You don’t want it to be dripping wet, but you also don’t want it to be completely dry.
- Start Cleaning: Use the damp melamine foam sponge to clean various surfaces around your home. The melamine foam’s abrasive texture helps to lift off dirt, grime, and stains.
- Rinse and Reuse: As the sponge becomes dirty, rinse it under water to remove debris. You can continue using the same sponge until it starts to break down and deteriorate.
- Dispose and Replace: Once the melamine foam sponge is worn out, dispose of it properly and replace it with a new one from your bulk supply.