- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cold water
- Seafood of your choice (fish fillets, shrimp, etc.)
- Oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Mix well to evenly distribute the spices.
- Gradually add the cold water to the dry ingredients while whisking. Continue whisking until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Let the batter rest for about 10-15 minutes. This allows the ingredients to fully hydrate and the flavors to meld.
- Dip your seafood of choice into the batter, ensuring they are well coated.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep skillet to around 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the battered seafood into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy. The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the seafood.
- Once the seafood is cooked to a crispy golden brown, remove it from the oil using a slotted spoon and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve your delicious homemade Long John Silver’s-style battered seafood with your favorite dipping sauces and sides.