- 4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices of French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the beef broth, chicken broth, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat your oven to 350°F. Brush both sides of each bread slice with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the bread is lightly toasted.
- When the soup is done simmering, ladle it into oven-safe bowls. Place a slice of toasted French bread on top of each bowl of soup.
- Mix the Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese together, then sprinkle the cheese mixture over each slice of bread.
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup!