Potato Pavé is a delicious and visually impressive dish that features thinly sliced potatoes layered together with butter and baked to perfection. Here’s a recipe for Potato Pavé:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking dish or line it with parchment paper.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into very thin, even slices. You can use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife for this.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 10 minutes. This helps remove excess starch and helps the potatoes crisp up while baking.
- Drain the sliced potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Arrange a layer of potato slices in the bottom of the greased baking dish, slightly overlapping them. Brush the layer with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the process, layering the remaining potato slices, brushing each layer with melted butter and seasoning with salt and pepper. Press down gently on each layer to ensure they stick together.
- Once all the potato slices are layered, brush the top with any remaining melted butter and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, remove the Potato Pavé from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the Potato Pavé into portions. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves if desired.
- Serve the Potato Pavé as a side dish to accompany your favorite main course.