Enjoy your delicious and satisfying onions stuffed with meat and rice!
- 4 large onions
- 1/2 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut off the tops of the onions and peel off the outer layer. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each onion so it can stand upright.
- Hollow out the onions using a spoon, leaving about a 1/2-inch shell.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef or lamb, uncooked rice, water, olive oil, tomato paste, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Stuff the onion shells with the meat and rice mixture, packing it in tightly.
- Place the stuffed onions in a baking dish and pour the beef or vegetable broth over them.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 60-75 minutes, or until the onions are tender and the meat is cooked through.
- Remove the foil from the baking dish and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the tops of the onions are lightly browned.
- Serve the onions hot, with the broth spooned over the top.