Experience the irresistible combination of two beloved treats with S’mores Macarons. These delicate and decadent French macarons are filled with a luscious chocolate ganache and a gooey marshmallow filling, reminiscent of the classic campfire treat. With their crisp shells and indulgent fillings, S’mores Macarons are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes Resting Time: 30 minutes Baking Time: 15-18 minutes Total Time: Approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes
For the macaron shells:
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Graham cracker crumbs (for sprinkling on top)
For the chocolate ganache filling:
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the marshmallow filling:
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme/fluff
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the powdered sugar and almond flour. Pulse until well combined and finely ground. Sift the mixture into a large mixing bowl, discarding any larger pieces that remain.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar to the egg whites, one tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat. Increase the speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Gently fold the almond flour mixture into the beaten egg whites using a rubber spatula. Fold until the batter is smooth and well combined, but be careful not to overmix.
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe small circles onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Tap the baking sheets gently on the counter to release any air bubbles. Let the macarons rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes, until a slight skin forms on the surface.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bake the macarons in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the shells are set and slightly firm to the touch. Let them cool completely on the baking sheets before removing.
- While the macaron shells are cooling, prepare the chocolate ganache filling. Place the finely chopped dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until it just begins to simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for a minute. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Add the butter and stir until incorporated. Let the ganache cool to room temperature.
- Once the macaron shells and ganache are cooled, pair up similar-sized shells. Pipe a small dollop of marshmallow creme onto one shell and a teaspoon of chocolate ganache onto another. Sandwich the two shells together gently.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top of each macaron for decoration.
- Refrigerate the filled macarons for at least 24 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld and the macarons to soften.
- Enjoy these delightful S’mores Macarons as a sweet treat for any occasion.