Soft custard rolls are a delightful and pillowy treat that combines the rich and creamy taste of custard with the fluffy and light texture of bread rolls. Here’s a simple recipe to make soft custard rolls:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup custard (homemade or store-bought)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and instant yeast.
- Add the warm milk, warm water, softened butter, and eggs to the bowl and mix everything together until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 12-16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and place it onto a greased baking sheet, leaving some space between the balls.
- Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand and make an indentation in the center of each roll.
- Spoon a tablespoon of custard into the indentation of each roll.
- Cover the rolls with a damp towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Serve the soft custard rolls warm with a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top, if desired.