Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are a delicious and easy-to-make dinner that the whole family will enjoy. The ground beef mixture is savory and slightly sweet, with a tangy kick from the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. The Texas toast provides a hearty and crispy base for the sloppy joe mixture. This recipe can also be easily customized with additional toppings like shredded cheese, pickles, or diced tomatoes. Enjoy this classic American dish with a side of fries or coleslaw for a satisfying and tasty meal.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of Texas toast
- Butter or margarine for toasting
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the diced onion, diced green bell pepper, and minced garlic.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until it thickens to a sloppy joe consistency.
- While the mixture is simmering, prepare the Texas toast according to the package instructions. Spread butter or margarine on each slice of toast and toast until golden brown.
- Serve the sloppy joe mixture over the toasted Texas toast slices.