- °2 slices bread (white, wheat, sourdough or any other type you prefer)
- °2-3 slices cheese (cheddar, swiss, gouda, etc.)
- °1-2 tablespoons butter
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Spread the butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place a slice of bread, buttered side down, on the pan.
- Place the cheese slices on the bread in the pan.
- Place the second slice of bread, buttered side up, on the cheese.
- Cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has started to melt, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula.
- Cook until the second slice of bread is golden brown and the cheese is completely melted, another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let cool for a minute or two.
- Cut in half, if desired, and serve hot.