For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup drained crushed canned pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the Icing:
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Grease and flour a 13- x 9-inch metal cake pan or 2 round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, beat together granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla until smooth. Pour this mixture over the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Stir in grated carrots, drained crushed pineapple, and chopped pecans. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake in the center of a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack.
- For Make-Ahead: You can cover the cooled cake with plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can wrap it with heavy-duty foil and freeze it for up to 2 weeks. Thaw before continuing.
- For the Icing: In a bowl, beat the softened cream cheese with softened butter until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the icing sugar, one-third at a time, until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese icing over the top of the cooled cake.
- For Make-Ahead: You can cover the cake loosely and refrigerate it for up to 1 day.
Enjoy your delicious carrot cake with cream cheese icing!