“Chinese Takeout” Beef Lo Mein is a delicious and popular dish that combines tender beef, fresh vegetables, and noodles in a flavorful sauce. Here’s a recipe to make this classic Chinese dish at home:
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the beef and noodles:
- 8 ounces flank steak, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, and sugar to make the sauce. Set aside.
- Cook the lo mein noodles or spaghetti according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the sliced beef and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms to the skillet. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the shredded cabbage and bean sprouts to the skillet. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- Return the cooked beef to the skillet and pour in the prepared sauce. Toss everything together to coat the ingredients in the sauce. Cook for an additional 2 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add the cooked noodles to the skillet and toss well to combine all the ingredients. Cook for another minute to heat the noodles through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the sliced green onions and remove from heat.
- Serve the “Chinese Takeout” Beef Lo Mein hot, garnished with additional green onions if desired.