Japanese fluffy pancakes, also known as souffle pancakes, are light, airy, and incredibly delicious. They have a unique texture that is soft and fluffy, making them a delightful breakfast or brunch treat. Here’s a recipe to make Japanese fluffy pancakes at home:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Butter or oil, for greasing the pan
- Maple syrup
- Fresh berries
- Whipped cream
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- In another clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter using a spatula. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Heat a non-stick pan or griddle over low to medium heat. Grease the pan with butter or oil.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake. You can use a round cookie cutter or a metal ring to help maintain the pancake’s shape.
- Cook the pancakes for about 2-3 minutes on one side, until bubbles form on the surface.
- Carefully flip the pancakes using a spatula and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the pancakes from the pan and stack them on a plate.
- Serve the Japanese fluffy pancakes warm, topped with maple syrup, fresh berries, and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.