Croque Monsieur is a classic French grilled sandwich made with smoked ham, cheese, and mustard. Here’s a recipe to make a delicious Croque Monsieur on wholemeal bread:
- 8 slices of wholemeal bread
- 8 slices of smoked ham
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Coleman’s mustard (or any Dijon mustard)
- Butter, softened
- Preheat a panini press, sandwich press, or a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread a thin layer of mustard on one side of each bread slice.
- Place a slice of cheddar cheese on four bread slices, followed by a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Top the cheese with two slices of smoked ham on each sandwich.
- Place the remaining four bread slices on top to make four sandwiches, mustard side down.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on the outside of each sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches on the preheated panini press, sandwich press, or skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwiches from the heat and let them cool slightly before serving.