Cleaning grout can be a daunting task, especially if you’ve tried various methods that yield unsatisfactory results. In this article, we will introduce you to an effective grout-cleaning method using a simple ingredient you probably already have at home: borax. We will take you through the process, share some tips, and showcase the impressive before-and-after transformation.
What You’ll Need:
- Borax (20 Mule Team Borax)
- Warm water
- A grout cleaning brush
- A bowl for mixing
- Prepare the Borax Paste: Begin by creating a borax paste. In a bowl, mix borax with warm water until you achieve a paste-like consistency. The amount of water may vary depending on the area you’re cleaning. Aim for a consistency that’s easy to spread but not too runny.
- Apply the Borax Paste: Put on gloves and apply the borax paste generously onto the grout lines you want to clean. Ensure the paste covers the grout evenly.
- Scrub the Grout: With the help of a grout cleaning brush, scrub the borax paste into the grout lines. The bristles of the brush will help dislodge dirt and stains from the grout.
- Let it Sit: Allow the borax paste to sit on the grout lines for about 15-20 minutes. During this time, it will penetrate and break down stains and buildup.
- Wipe Away the Paste: After the waiting period, dampen a clean cloth or kitchen towel with warm water. Wipe away the borax paste and residue from the grout lines. Be prepared for some residue; borax paste can be a bit messy.
- Let it Dry: To fully appreciate the results, let the cleaned grout lines dry for at least an hour. The grout may still appear slightly darker while damp.
The Amazing Transformation: As you can see in the “Before” images, the grout was discolored and stained. However, after applying the borax paste and following the simple cleaning process, the “After” images reveal a remarkable transformation. The grout lines are significantly brighter and cleaner, restoring the floor’s appearance to its former glory.
Conclusion: Cleaning grout doesn’t have to be an arduous and costly task. Using borax, a natural and effective cleaning agent, you can achieve fantastic results with a bit of time and effort. Whether you have a small bathroom or a larger tiled area to tackle, this borax grout-cleaning method is worth trying. Remember to seal your grout after cleaning to maintain its cleanliness and prevent future stains. Say goodbye to grimy grout and hello to a sparkling floor!