Fried Potatoes and Onions is a classic and comforting side dish that pairs well with a variety of meals. This simple and delicious dish features crispy and golden-brown potatoes cooked with savory onions, creating a flavorful combination. It’s an excellent option for breakfast, brunch, or as a satisfying side for any main course.
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Fresh herbs (such as thyme or rosemary), for added flavor
- Heat the vegetable oil or melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the skillet and sauté them until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the thinly sliced potatoes to the skillet, spreading them out in an even layer.
- Season the potatoes and onions with salt, pepper, and any additional herbs or spices of your choice.
- Allow the potatoes to cook undisturbed for a few minutes, until they begin to brown on the bottom.
- Carefully flip the potatoes and onions using a spatula, ensuring even browning on all sides.
- Continue cooking the potatoes and onions, flipping occasionally, until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the fried potatoes and onions to a serving dish lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the Fried Potatoes and Onions hot as a delicious side dish for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
Note: You can customize the dish by adding additional ingredients such as diced bell peppers, garlic, or spices like paprika or cayenne pepper to enhance the flavors according to your preference.