Indulge in the zesty and tangy flavors of these delightful Lemon Squares. With their buttery shortbread crust and luscious lemon filling, these squares are the perfect balance of sweet and tart. These refreshing treats are great for any occasion, from afternoon tea to dessert at a summer gathering.
For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
For the lemon filling:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and powdered sugar for the crust. Cut in the softened butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until it turns light golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and all-purpose flour for the filling.
- Add the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the sugar and flour mixture. Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the lemon filling over the baked crust in the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is set and the edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let the lemon squares cool completely in the baking dish.
- Once cooled, dust the top with powdered sugar.
- Cut the lemon squares into desired sizes and serve.