Making your own dishwasher tablets is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly way to keep your dishes clean. Here’s the recipe for homemade dishwasher tablets:
- 1 cup Borax
- ½ cup Epsom salt
- 1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
- ⅓ to ½ cup lemon juice
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
- In a bowl, combine the Borax, Epsom salts, lavender essential oil, and washing soda until well mixed.
- Gradually add lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is moist but not soaked. You want it to hold together without being brittle.
- Press the mixture firmly into ice cube trays, then tap them on the counter to level out.
- Allow the tablets to dry for at least 3-4 hours before removing them.
- Store your homemade dishwasher tablets in an airtight container, such as a mason jar.
This recipe will fill a standard ice cube tray.
Place one tablet in your dishwasher detergent compartment.
If you have hard water, you may want to add some distilled white vinegar (a common rinse aid) to the compartment where you usually put “Jet Dry.” The vinegar acts as a water conditioner, preventing spotting on dishes and helping you save money.
Give this recipe a try and see how well it works for you! You can also experiment with different essential oils to customize the fragrance of your homemade dishwasher tablets.