Mooncakes filled with homemade pineapple paste are a delightful variation of the traditional Chinese mooncakes. The sweet and tangy pineapple filling adds a tropical twist to this beloved treat. Here’s a recipe to make mooncakes with homemade pineapple paste:
For the pineapple paste:
- 2 ripe pineapples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the mooncake dough:
- 200g golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon alkaline water (lye water)
- 75g vegetable oil
- 300g cake flour
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- Mooncake molds
- Peel and core the pineapples, then chop them into small pieces.
- In a large saucepan, cook the pineapple pieces over low heat until they soften and release their juices, stirring occasionally. This will take about 30-40 minutes.
- Add the granulated sugar and lemon juice to the cooked pineapple and continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and most of the liquid evaporates. This will take about 1 hour.
- Once the pineapple paste reaches a jam-like consistency and the liquid has evaporated, remove it from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Divide the cooled pineapple paste into small portions and shape them into balls.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the golden syrup, alkaline water, and vegetable oil for the mooncake dough. Mix well.
- Gradually add the cake flour to the mixture and knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide the dough into small portions and shape them into balls.
- Take one portion of the dough and flatten it into a circle. Place a pineapple paste ball in the center and wrap the dough around it, sealing it tightly. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Lightly dust the mooncake molds with flour. Place each filled dough ball into the mold and press firmly to create the desired pattern on the top.
- Place the molded mooncakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the mooncakes with the egg wash.
- Bake the mooncakes in the preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the mooncakes from the oven and let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container for a few days to allow the flavors to meld together.