Apple Pie is a classic and beloved dessert that features a flaky pie crust filled with sweet and spiced apple filling. Here’s a recipe to make a delicious apple pie:
For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the apple filling:
- 6 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar for the pie crust. Add the cold butter pieces and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, and mix the dough until it comes together. Add only as much water as needed to form a cohesive dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape each portion into a disk. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until firm.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice for the filling. Toss the ingredients together until the apples are coated evenly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of the chilled pie dough to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Transfer the rolled-out dough to the pie dish and gently press it into the bottom and sides.
- Pour the apple filling into the prepared pie crust, spreading it out evenly. Dot the top of the filling with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second portion of chilled pie dough and place it over the apple filling. Trim the excess dough and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beaten egg and milk (or water) to make the egg wash. Brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash.
- Cut slits or shapes on the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Enjoy the warm and comforting taste of homemade apple pie! Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra treat.