Garlic is not only a flavorful ingredient in cooking but also a powerful natural remedy for various health issues. Here’s how you can use garlic for its potential health benefits:
Consuming Raw Garlic: Garlic can be consumed raw to harness its medicinal properties. Raw garlic is known to:
- Lower Blood Pressure and Cholesterol: Garlic can help reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which can prevent heart disease and heart attacks.
- Prevent Atherosclerosis: It may slow down the progression of atherosclerosis, a condition where arteries become narrowed and hardened.
- Treat Everyday Health Problems: Garlic can help with common health issues like hay fever, traveler’s diarrhea, colds, flu, insect bites, and fungal infections.
- Manage Osteoarthritis, Diabetes, and Enlarged Prostate: Garlic may alleviate symptoms associated with these conditions.
- Boost Immunity and Detoxification: Garlic enhances the immune system and aids the body in eliminating toxins.
How to Use Raw Garlic: To maximize garlic’s benefits, follow these steps:
- Crush and Slice: Crush and slice a garlic clove.
- Wait 15 Minutes: Allow the crushed garlic to sit for 15 minutes. This activates a reaction that makes allicin, its active ingredient, more bioavailable.
- Consume on an Empty Stomach: Eat the garlic on an empty stomach for better absorption, as a full stomach may have difficulty processing nutrients.
Raw Garlic and Honey: For a simple remedy, mix 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic with a tablespoon of honey. Consuming this daily can boost your energy and overall health.
Garlic Flu Tonic: For a potent flu-fighting tonic, you’ll need:
- Half a yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 red chilies, also coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
Here’s how to prepare it:
- Place the coarsely chopped onion in a Mason jar.
- Add the chopped garlic, followed by the red chilies, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Top it off with raw apple cider vinegar, leaving about a cm of space at the top.
- Close the jar and let it sit on the counter or in a pantry.
Use this tonic as a remedy for sore throats, colds, and flu. Remember to handle chili peppers with care and avoid touching your eyes when preparing this tonic, as natural oils from the peppers can cause irritation.