Here are some tips for cleaning and eliminating bad odors, particularly urine odor, from toilets, mattresses, and sofas:
To Clean a Dirty Toilet:
- In a container, mix a small amount of baking soda with 250 ml of white vinegar. You will notice an effervescent reaction; let it settle.
- Pour the mixture into the toilet bowl and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Use a toilet brush to thoroughly clean the toilet surfaces.
- Flush the toilet to rinse away the solution.
If the toilet is heavily soiled:
- Pour 250 ml of white vinegar into the toilet bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Scrub the toilet with a toilet brush.
- Add 4 tablespoons of borax and wait for an additional 15 minutes.
- Finish by pouring a liter of hot water into the bowl to remove any residue, then flush.
To Remove Odors from a Sofa or Mattress:
- For urine odors from pets or other sources, pour 10 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide onto the damp area of the sofa or mattress. If it’s pet urine, you might need to increase the amount of hydrogen peroxide.
- Scrub the area thoroughly with a toothbrush, concentrating on the smelly spots.
- Allow the area to dry completely.
Another effective method for removing odors is to use baking soda:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda evenly over the surface of the sofa or mattress.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb excess moisture and odors.
- After waiting, vacuum the baking soda thoroughly.