New York-style pizza with buffalo mozzarella is a classic and delicious pizza known for its thin, crispy crust and generous toppings. Here’s a recipe to make this iconic pizza at home:
For the pizza dough:
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the pizza toppings:
- 2 cups crushed San Marzano tomatoes (or pizza sauce)
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced or torn into small pieces
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, instant yeast, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Gradually add the warm water and olive oil to the dry ingredients. Stir until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in size.
- Preheat your oven to the highest temperature it can reach (usually around 500°F or 260°C). If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat as well.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, flatten and stretch each dough ball into a round shape, about 12 inches in diameter, using your hands or a rolling pin.
- Transfer the pizza dough to a pizza peel or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread a generous amount of crushed tomatoes or pizza sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Top the sauce with the buffalo mozzarella cheese, tearing it into smaller pieces for even distribution. Add fresh basil leaves on top.
- Drizzle the pizza with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully transfer the pizza to the preheated oven (or onto the preheated pizza stone, if using) and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing and serving.