Gelatina Espuma, also known as “foam jelly” or “whipped jelly,” is a delicious and light dessert popular in many Latin American countries. It is made using gelatin, which is whipped to create a fluffy and airy texture. Here’s a simple recipe to make Gelatina Espuma:
- 2 packets (14g each) of unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, chilled
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
Optional: Fruit or fruit puree for additional flavor and color (strawberries, mangoes, etc.)
- In a medium-sized bowl, sprinkle the gelatin powder over the cold water. Let it sit for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the boiling water to the gelatin mixture and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the granulated sugar and vanilla extract until the sugar is dissolved. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whip the chilled evaporated milk until it becomes thick and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer for this step.
- In another bowl, whip the chilled heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped evaporated milk into the gelatin mixture using a spatula. Then, fold in the whipped heavy cream until everything is well combined and smooth.
- If you want to add fruit flavor, you can puree some fruits and fold them into the mixture at this point.
- Pour the Gelatina Espuma mixture into individual serving dishes or a large mold.
- Refrigerate the dessert for at least 4 hours, or until it sets and becomes firm.
- Serve chilled, either as is or with additional fruits or whipped cream as a garnish.
Gelatina Espuma is a light and refreshing dessert that is perfect for hot summer days or any special occasion. It’s easy to make and can be customized with different flavors to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy the airy and creamy texture of this delightful treat!