Hungarian-style fluffy donuts, known as “fánk,” are a delightful treat that are often enjoyed with a filling of apricot jam. Here’s a recipe to make these delicious donuts at home:
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Apricot jam, for filling
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and melted butter together.
- Pour the yeast mixture and the egg mixture into the bowl with the flour. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Punch down the risen dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll it out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut out donut shapes from the dough. Use a smaller round cutter to create a dent in the center of each donut.
- Place the cut-out donuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- In a deep pot or deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully drop a few donuts at a time into the hot oil and fry them for about 2-3 minutes per side until they turn golden brown. Be cautious and avoid overcrowding the pot.
- Remove the fried donuts with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Once the donuts have cooled slightly, fill the dent in the center of each donut with apricot jam.
- Dust the filled donuts with powdered sugar just before serving.
Enjoy these fluffy Hungarian-style donuts with a delicious apricot jam filling. They make a delightful breakfast or snack, especially when enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee or tea.