For the crust:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper, leaving some overhang for easy removal.
- For the crust, in a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and salt to the butter-sugar mixture and mix until a crumbly dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared baking dish. Use the back of a spoon or your hands to smooth it out.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the filling, in another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour to the lemon mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the lemon filling over the baked crust and spread it out evenly.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove the lemon bars from the oven and let them cool completely in the baking dish.
- Once cooled, dust the top of the lemon bars with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Use the parchment paper overhang to lift the lemon bars out of the baking dish. Cut them into squares or rectangles.
- Serve these refreshing and tangy Lemon Bars as a delightful dessert or sweet treat for any occasion.